Green tea is well known for being one of the healthiest drinks in the world. It has been used in traditional Chinese medicine treatment for numerous conditions, varying from headaches to healing.
If you want to lose weight to reach your ideal body weight, you’ve probably been advised to drink green tea before. Let’s dive into the potential benefits of drinking green tea and whether it’s actually an effective way to lose weight.
What does green tea contain?
Green tea is composed of the following components:
- Antioxidants - Green tea is rich in the antioxidant catechin.
- Caffeine - Green tea has a slight hint of bitterness when you drink it, thanks to its caffeine content. It typically has less caffeine than coffee.
- Vitamins - Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B2 are just a few of the vitamins that you can find in green tea.
- Minerals - Green tea contains minerals and trace elements such as fluorine, zinc, iron, and calcium
- EGCG - Epigallocatechin gallate is the main component people consider for weight loss, because EGCG may be able to boost metabolism.
Is green tea good for weight loss?
Green tea leaves contain several compounds that have been found to be potentially beneficial. Green tea extract is often listed as an ingredient in weight loss supplements.
In recent times, green tea has been associated with weight loss. Like many supplements and ingredients, green tea cannot guarantee that you will see a change in your weight, but some naturopaths do recommend drinking green tea in moderation for your health.
Can green tea help you lose weight?
Losing weight can be a complicated process. Essentially, you want your body to burn and break down fat, burn calories, and healthily lose weight. A study has shown that green tea is associated with boosting human metabolism and increasing human energy expenditure.
If you drink a cup of green tea, you may be able to benefit from its rich, potent antioxidant called catechins. However, it is important to note that green tea can’t miraculously cause weight loss, and it’s a good idea to check with your physician before consuming something new in your diet for the sake of losing weight.
Looking for high quality tea?
My Herb Clinic offers a wide range of supreme teas, including green tea, black tea, blended herbal teas, oolong, and more! Check out our wonderful selection of teas today.